Passage: Matthew 6:9-15 (The Lord’s Prayer)
Text: Matthew 6:12. (And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.)
To forgive means to pardon or to show mercy, or to absolve, that is, to declare free from guilt or sin.
Brethren, no matter how hard we try to please people, we will always offend somebody, and it is certain that someone will equally offend us.
- Husbands offend their wives
- Wives also offend their husbands
- Pastors can offend their members
- Friends can offend one another
- NEPA can offend their customers
- Employers can offend their employees
- Sometimes, the teeth and the tongue do disagree to agree over a delicious food, but it is only for a moment. They must agree or reconcile immediately.
Forgiveness is an absolute necessity
- Someone may say, ‘Pastor, I have been praying since all these years, and God has not answered me’
- I tell you, it may be because you carry an unforgiving spirit in your bosom. If you don’t forgive today, you will only be delaying your miracle.
- Some people find it so difficult to forgive. Some people say, it is heaven that will settle the quarrel. Point of correction, sir, they don’t settle quarrel in heaven. It must be done here on earth if you want to get to heaven.
- Brethren, no matter what anybody has done against us, let’s forgive and forget and let’s move on.
REASONS WHY YOU MUST FORGIVE
1. It is a command
Colossians 3:13. “For bearing one another, and forgiving one another. If any man has quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.”
Ephesians 4:32. “Be ye kind one to another, tender hearted, forgiving one another even as God for Christ sake has forgiven you.”
2. So that you too may be forgiven
Mark 11:25. “And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any that your father may forgive your trespasses.”
Matthew 6:14-15. “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly father will also forgive you. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses neither will your father forgive your trespasses”.
If you want God to forgive you, you must forgive others.
3. It makes us exactly like our father
- If there is a child, who doesn’t resemble his father or mother in character, what name do you call such a child?: “BASTARD”
- God our father forgives. If indeed, we are His children, we must take after him. As a matter of fact, the best way to know whether somebody is a child of God or not is to check his or her character.
- Tell your neighbor: FORGIVE
4. So that your offering will be acceptable
Matt. 5:23-24. “Therefore, if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there remember that thy brother hath ought against thee: Leave there thy gift, before the altar, and go thy way. First be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift”.
- If you don’t forgive, your offering will not be acceptable.
- God can reject somebody and reject his offering.
- For example, Cain’s offering was rejected by God.
- My prayer is that God will not reject you and He will not reject your offering in Jesus name.
HOW DO I GO ABOUT FORGIVING?
Matthew 18:15-17. “Moreover, if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone. If he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses, every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church, but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican”
Pastor, when exactly can I revenge or retaliate?
Proverbs 20:22. “Say not thou, I will recompense evil, but wait on the Lord, and he shall save thee.”
Luke 17:4. “And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shall forgive him”
Matthew 18:21-22. “Then came Peter unto him, and said, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee until seven times, but, until seventy times seven”
Brethren, you can only revenge after 490 times.
1. Joseph (The dreamer) forgave his brothers, despite the fact that they wanted him dead. They wanted to kill his vision. They did not want the plan of God to be fulfilled in his life. They threw him into the pit. Later they sold him into slavery. He became a slave in a foreign land. He was imprisoned for an offence he didn’t commit. At the end of the day, the Lord promoted him from prison to the palace.
Gen 45:15. “Moreover, he kissed all his brothers, and wept upon them, and after that his brethren talked with him”
To show that he has forgiven his brothers, he kissed them and wept upon them.
2. David forgave King Saul
- Sam. 24:1-22.
- Saul wanted David dead. He was pursuing him up and down. He went through Jonathan (his son), it did not work. He gave David his daughter, it never worked out. Saul used many ways. God did not give David’s life to him.
- On several occasions, David had opportunities to kill King Saul, but he never touched him. He forgave him.
3. Stephen forgave his persecutors
- Stephen was full of God’s grace and power. He did great wonders among the people. Opposition arose from members of the Jews to attack him. They seized Stephen, brought him before the elders and they commanded that he should be stoned to death.
Acts 7:60. “And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice. Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.”
4. Jesus forgave his enemies
- Luke 23:24. “Then said Jesus, father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. And they parted his garment and cast lots”
- Brethren, unforgiveness is a bitter pill, don’t swallow it. For you to receive your miracles, you must forgive.
- Father help me forgive and reconcile with those who offended me
- Forgive me also father of all my trespasses.
Psalms 46:1 God is ever present help in trouble.
- Father send help to me now.
- Father, provide for me and my family our daily bread.
John 15:16. God said, I have chosen you to bear fruits, so that whatever you ask will be granted
- Father, I will serve you. Please, answer all my prayers fully and quickly in Jesus name..
1.You are God… from beginning to the end… there’s no place for argument…
You are God all by yourself.
- Father in heaven, how we love you
- Evil arrow go back to your sender.